Dr Lucy Ziegler, Associate Professor in Palliative Care at the University of Leeds, is looking for volunteers to be a part of the Chronic Illness & Disability Project for first-year medical students.
As a volunteer you will be matched with two or three first-year medical students via Zoom or an alternative online platform depending on your preference. Meetings will take place in February or March 2021 and will last about an hour. The students will be interested in listening to you talking about your own experiences to gain a better understanding of what it is like to have, or to care for someone who has, a chronic illness or disability. Topics may include:
– How you manage your illness or disability (or that of someone you care for).
– What you think about the illness or disability.
– How things might have changed over time, or since the diagnosis.
– The impact the illness or disability has had on your life and of others close to you.
– Your experiences of medical and other support services.
All this information will be treated in confidence and if there is anything you would not like to discuss, you should not feel any pressure to do so during the sessions.
If you would like to become a volunteer, please contact David Hemming at iandpY1@leeds.ac.uk ideally by Wednesday 3rd February with the following information:
– Phone number
– Email address
– Brief details of the condition you, or the person you care for, experiences
– The support organisation you were contacted through (The charity will receive a £10 donation for every volunteer who states they heard about the opportunity via LUPUS UK )